Remember my velvet and lace dress?
I finally got around to starting, and finishing it, a few weeks before Christmas.
About time! I had already had the project for over 3 years!
Since its been awhile, I’ll recap.
I got this dress from my boss at the costume shop where I worked during college. It had been falling apart for a while, which made it perfect for the zombie thesis it was last in, but not for actual wear as a costume. So my boss gave it to me to play around with.
I ended up taking off the lace top since it was a bit too fragile to stay together on its own, and then let it sit around for forever.
So in December I finally made an approximate pattern for the lace top out of this polyester lace, I sewed it up, and I carefully sewed it to the velvet. At this point it was still very much below knee length, which I never wear, especially in a party context. Instead of cutting off at the bottom, though, I decided to bring the skirt up at the waist, in order to give it a waistline, which i liked, but also to show off the cool detailing of the skirt, which is a subtle seaming of the velvet that might even be too subtle to show in pictures.
It got its first outing on New Year’s Eve when I went to a party for maybe an hour… I stayed up to watch the ball drop though, so I still feel like I’m not a party pooper!
I even got a few compliments, by people who didn’t even know I make clothing, so I count that as a definite win!