I love my captain!
And my new Kaylee inspired dress!
Dianne had found this fabric from Fabric Tales that matches the original very nearly.
But I don’t have that fabric, or the money to obtain it at the steep price.
I do, however, have this fabric! Not perfect, but I think Kaylee would have definitely worn this fabric if she had the chance. It’s playful and colorful enough. Or maybe that’s just me.
And I have a lot of it. It being the same fabric I used for my culottes. And I have some left over still.
It also wrinkles all over the place. It’ll crease just by lightly folding, even without ironing or pressing it.
I draped the bodice on a borrowed dress form, though it seems I’m a bit chestier than then form is.
At that point I didn’t care much about the direction of the grain of the fabric, since I was using scraps for all of it.
Aren’t scraps lovely?
So then I let it sit around awhile as I was thinking on a skirt plan. Or rather, while I was doing that homework and classes thing…
I lined it in the meantime, which brought about it’s own challenges, but worked out well in the end.
And then I got to work on the skirt. I knew it needed to be at least a little bit full, and I knew that my dress needed to be lined.
In the end I cut out a few rectangles and sewed it all up.
And then it was too tight. Pencil skirt tight.
So I unpicked all of that and added another identically sized rectangle, which brought the fullness I had wanted.
Sewed the waistband to the bodice, and tried it on.
At this point I realized that the bodice was big around my actual waist, in order to get it over my head.
Looking at the inspiration photos of Jewel Staite as Kaylee, I saw that she had an attached belt. So I set about making some belt-like strips. I didn’t want to make one that would actually tie around me, as I often find them uncomfortable, so I had them attach with hooks and eyes.
And finally success!
It matches really well with the jacket I made for my Halloween costume, since the blue is mirrored in the dress fabric.